How to Kill Your Birds Without Trying
Many products available on the market have been known to cause illness and/or death to many pet birds. Manufacturers quite often deny any knowledge of these incidents. The products mentioned on this page are listed to give you "heads up" in the event the accusations are true. This information is presented to you as we received it and is not intended to boycott or otherwise prevent the sale of these products. This information is to serve as warning to use care with products around your pet birds. You may also keep in mind that many items have been determined "safe around pets," but appear to be directed more towards dogs and cats. Those same items may be perfectly safe around dogs and cats, but not around birds. For this purpose, when using or purchasing any questionable product, THINK BIRD.
SBBS was recently informed about Febreze, a Proctor and Gamble product used to eliminate odors on sofas, clothes, and other items. One person sprayed Febreze within 12 feet of his birds. One bird died, and others are still quite ill. Another person reported losing three budgies. Febreze contains zinc chloride, a highly toxic ingredient fatal to birds.
Never use aerosol cans near birds.
Candles / Scented Candles
Room fresheners, including potpourri and plug-in air fresheners, carpet fresheners and candles (an open flame hazard) have fragrances. These items are extremely toxic to birds. Chemicals that ordinarily only irritate humans can be toxic to birds. Renuzit has been added to this list of items toxic to birds.
Reynolds Cooking Bags
Beware of the Reynolds aluminum and plastic,
"The health of some birds is extremely sensitive to the fumes given off by self-cleaning ovens. Exposure to the fumes may result in death to certain birds. Always remove birds to another closed and well-ventilated room."
Cigarette smoke is an airborne irritant, like cooking smoke, vacuuming dust, carpet powders, and hair sprays. Chronic sinusitis and liver pathologies have been confirmed in homes where a smoker resides.
Be careful with new cookware. Most types are coated with a non-stick surface which is toxic when heated. It is best to remove your bird (s) from cooking areas when introducing or using utensils with non-stick surfaces — especially when new. New utensils give off more toxins and at lower temperatures than those that have been used.
Teflon and Non-stick Cookware
Overheated Teflon can cause almost instant death of your bird. Your bird should never be anywhere near Teflon or other non-stick cookware when it is being used.Ceramic and/or green cookware are a more bird-friendly choice.
Tin found in aluminum foil, gum wrappers, and cans are toxic to birds. Some old copper toys and old pennies are toxic, as is zinc, which can be found in chipped galvanized metals and pennies. Hidden metals, such as small lead weights commonly found at the lower edges of curtains are also toxic.
Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and the same precautions should be taken for your birds as are taken for a person suffering from asthma.
Plants and Foliage
The list is too long to publish here, but always find out whether your plants and trees are toxic or non-toxic.